Monday 24 October 2016

Trincomalee – Karumalaiyouthu Pre-School 23/10/16 – Lorna and Sophie O

When we arrived we walked up the hill to the Pre-School with children waiting to greeting us with their handmade flags. Sophie and I read the story of the Rainbow Fish and after made Rainbow Fish Hats with the children, pictures for the sponsors and then we had great fun with the children playing parachute games and blowing bubbles.  The children then did their own show for us.  They showed us what they had learnt in English telling us all about their families, best friends, and then named different animals, fruit, vegetables etc. in English by showing us a picture of each item and then telling us its name.

I don’t think I can really explain how I felt today.  It was so emotional seeing these little 4 and 5 year olds.  Their behaviour was exemplary, the smiles on their faces was magical.  Although they were worried at first soon they were coming up to us and holding our hands as we sang the Hokey Cokey.  The hardest part for me was handing out the Milo (chocolate drink) and biscuit to the sponsored children, but not having enough for all the other children that had turned up who were not the preschool.

Today was a great priviledge and for me I gained more than I gave; and I thank everyone at the Pre-school for allowing us to visit them and be part of their team.


After our time at the schools we were welcomed into the home of the Headmaster and his family for lunch.  We were treated like Royalty!  Whilst there his daughter also decorated all of our hands with the most beautiful and decorative henna.  Thank you to Janapdeen and his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment