Monday 24 October 2016

Dilanee 18-21 October

Just catching up on blog writing while the rest of the team are away visiting Jaffna. The journey to Sri Lanka was eventful in itself as between my friend Baba, her 3 children Akshaya, Dinu and Hannah and myself  had 20 pieces of luggage. There were more trollies than people who could push as well as the push chair with baby that just wheeling the trollies to the checking in gate was a feat in itself. Seeing Maureen and Baba trying to push two trolleys each which went veering off in all directions had me in fits of laughter and the journey had only just begun. The check in lady was so fed up with us as a group checking in so many bags that in the end she let baba check in her two bags of 27Kilos each without any extra payments. Meandering our way at Dubai airport from Terminal A to C which was about ½ hour walk was exhausting. We finally arrived in Colombo via Dubai and Malee at 6.00pm on Wednesday 19th October. Seeing the look on Baba’s brother’s face as he spotted us in the distance and the smile that broke out when he saw her after 9 years is a moment I will never forget. Our Ocean Stars family apart from Dad were home and another significant event in our story. The rest of the team were met by Sudha our Ocean Stars driver with beautiful garlands and given a traditional welcome to Sri Lanka. I am back home too in Sri Lanka and my heart is strangely warmed.

Our first stop was a curry dinner at Mango Mango and we arrived at Avissawella at our hotel at about 10.00 pm. I wanted to go straight to bed but had to go through a long discussion as to whether I would prefer to try out their cabana which had recently been renovated. As we were staying just one night and leaving at 8.00 am I really did not think it was worth the effort.

I will let Maureen write about our visit to Yatiyanthota. It felt kind of special for me to visit this town that has very close links with my family and had always been talked about during my childhood.
Dan, Maureen and I have met up with Sandra, Reanne and Howard and the team has grown to 6.

Today our first full day in Kilinochchi I have met some very special people. I met a remarkable 5 year old girl who needs urgent surgery in India but because her family cannot afford the cost of her treatment has to grow up knowing that one day she could be disabled. Her smile lit up her face and she was in charge of handing out the cups of milk to 45 children in her preschool during break time. The confident gentle way in she gave out these metal cups without handles and therefore not an easy task for a 5 year old was another one of those Ocean Stars moments for me.


I am now going to have a quiet few moments before the rest of the team arrive back from Jaffna with hopefully an ice cream for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment